Tuesday, December 23, 2014

What are a horse's ergots?

If you look carefully at the back of a horse's fetlock, you'll find a small hard area. This is what's left of one of the horse's toe pads and is quite normal. It's called an ergot. (No, I'm not sure of the etymology of this one at all, but it doesn't seem to have any relationship to the fungus).

No comments:

Post a Comment